Monday, January 11, 2016

Through & Through

madtosh white spots?
See those light spots?
There was a part of the chorus of The Penelopiad, a number of years ago (I was still in... first year, second year? Now I'm in my fifth, if that gives this context.), that went:
weaving, weaving, all deceiving
what a tangled web we're weaving
- I don't remember this line -
when will dear Odysseus come
I forget where I went to see it. I get the feeling Buddies in Bad Times Theatre. A quick search says Nightwood Theatre. And another link (the trailer to the play, which includes part of the song) tells me my memory is flawed. What I do remember, without a doubt, is that this was my very favourite of all the plays we had to go see.

I want to go see a play or two this year. This has nothing to do, really, with the main topic of discussion. Which is about all those comments (read: complaints) about madelinetosh yarns not being dyed all the way through, and how people expect more from such a known & trusted brand of yarn. Maybe the undyed centre section of their yarns is necessary?

Doesn't make it less annoying though.
White spots!
I get the feeling that the white spots coming from the core yarn that haven't been dyed all the way through actually help madtosh yarns with the brilliance & lustre that their yarns are kind of known for. Because the dye penetrates more or less enough so that you wouldn't normally see the white core for the most part unless you split your yarn or it's been frogged enough that its structure has been changed, the dye rests on a white background, which makes the yarn look like it's glowing a bit. Not that the yarn produces any light. But I think it might be a similar sort of thing as when images on your computer screen appear brighter than when you print them out (always make a test print! also, soft proof!). Instead, here it's the light hitting the yarn actually bouncing off the white (or lighter) core instead of a dark, dyed centre. Does that make sense? I haven't actually done science for so long I might just be rambling.

And besides, it doesn't make it any less worrying while you're actually knitting and encountering all these lighter spots. I'm pretty sure one skein might just be lighter here though.

A pile of red ready to become scarlet billows, starting to spread
And this pile of red & pink yarn (minus the forest green & the two skeins of madtosh at the top, which are for the chevron cardigan/jacket) - all from stash! - are in the planning stage of becoming scarlet billows. So excited for this one. Not that I've finished the black dress or the above cardigan though.

No comments:

Post a Comment